Thursday, January 10, 2013

Trying to start a new routine...

Is hard stuff.  So, today we got up and got oldest off to school and right as we did that, youngest decided he wanted to get up.  Now, normally I'd fight him to go back to sleep.  I did 'encourage' it since it was 6AM, but that went down the crapper pretty fast.  He was content to watch his movie and go on, but after that was over, he was ready to get up.  So, he got up with hubby.  He stayed up.  I got up around 9:30-10:00 and we went from there.  He was grumpy and cranky and causing all sorts of a fuss so at 12:30, I put him down for a nap and he slept 2hrs!  I used that time to work on my budget binder, write down all of my receipts and balance both check-books plus pay bills.  It was great to do it without having to fight with the kiddos!  But having that time in the afternoon was wonderful and I'm wondering if this would be a good new schedule.  It will be hard for sure -- I'm not a morning person at all!  But if he got up at around 7 and would chill and watch his movie and then be up, I think it would work out ok.  I guess we will see.  I hate the idea of getting up that early, but maybe if we did, it would work out better.  I'm going to try to get to bed tonight a bit earlier if possible so that if he gets up again at that time, then I won't be so tired.  I was VERY tired this AM and had a bad... ummm... incident this AM.

*sigh*  Not sure what happened this AM.  I don't even know how it could happen.  But I had a sugar crash while getting oldest up and off to school.  A bad one.  I was getting lunch packed and all of a sudden I broke out in a cold sweat, got dizzy and nauseous.  It was AWFUL.  I had a snack before bed (Greek yogurt with blueberries and some cereal for crunch), so I don't know what happened.  I've not had one of these in probably a year or more that I can remember.  But it was like I'd had so much sugar and then it had burned up and I crashed.  But it was first thing in the AM.  I don't think I've ever had one that early before!  It was weird.  I had to sit and lay my head on the table.  I fought the nausea and dizziness and got a glass of juice to sip on.  It took about 10mins, but it finally passed enough that I got my oldest on the bus.  But it was awful... and scary.  I should've checked my sugar, but all I could think was that I gotta get through this.  I just wish I knew what had brought it on.  BLEH.  I hated that.  I've been eating better the last few days and getting back into the groove, so I don't think it was my food.  Maybe I just had so much built up in my body that it backlashed?  I have no idea.  I guess we'll see if it happens again.  I hope not.  I may check my sugar in the AM just to see where I'm standing.

I haven't worked out today and I know I'm not going to at this point.  I've not done much today to be honest.  I was REALLY hoping that this weather would move out so that I could feel better, but so far it hasn't.  I am going to TRY to push through it tomorrow anyways.  I HATE feeling icky.  :/  It's a pain.  But at least my food is MUCH better and I'm attempting to get back in gear.  Moving in the right direction, even if it is small, is still movement. 

It is now almost 11PM and my youngest is still up and being a pain.  I just spanked him HARD.  I hate to do it.  I wish he was more like my oldest at times and responded to other forms of discipline.  But he's so much rougher and stubborn.  I can't believe my parents didn't beat me if I was like this as a kid -- I would've deserved it!  He keeps kicking the walls and making all sorts of noise.  He is still up now, but at least he is finally being quiet.  Hopefully oldest is sleeping ok.  GRRR!  So much for going to bed anytime soon.  UGH.  I may have spoken too soon -- I hear him fussing now.  If he doesn't go to sleep soon, I may pull out all of my hair.  I'm so distracted, I can't even think of what I wanted to write about!  I think I wanted to write more about weightloss. 

Yes.  That's what it was.  I was talking about trying to find a routine and all that and eating better.  So, I'm going back to what was working over the Summer/Fall -- 4 Square.  I did pretty well on that and it's easy, so I'm going back to 3 meals at 400 cals and then 2 snacks totaling 400 for 1600 cals.  At my current weight, which was 191 this AM (which blows), I am already going to be cutting over 400 cals a day which means I only need to burn 100 cals in activity to lose 1lb. per week.  I'd like to lose more, but I'd have to make drastic cuts and as that never works for me, I'm just going back to what works.  The only thing I know for certain that I am not especially happy about is that to get to my goal weight, I will eventually have to cut my meals down and/or up my exercise to get there.  To maintain it, I will be able to eat about where I am, but we all know that the reason why that last little bit is hard to lose is because at that point, you have to get serious about those cuts.  For me, that will really hit in the 160's.  I know my goal is only 10lbs. under that, but that will be the real challenge.  So, we will see.  I'm going to try.  I'm nervous, but I'm going to try. 

Well, while I would love to keep rambling on, I really should bring this to an end now.  I want to try to get in the habit of writing about my day either first thing in the AM or before bed so I clear out my brain.  And I want to weigh-in every day again.  I won't be writing down my food and that still won't be all I talk about on here, but I do want to get into a good groove again.  Ok, off I go!  Hope tomorrow is a better day...

3 comments:

  1. wow that dizzy episode you had sound scary! Is that something that you've had before and gotten it checked? I hope you feel better soon
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having episodes like that is freaky. I've had nausea/ dizzy spells before, and once I nearly fainted. It's so unsettling to feel so weak and ill out of nowhere. Hope you are feeling better and it doesn't happen again. Sometimes that stuff happens when toxins are trying to pass out of your body.
    Hmm, stubborn kids are tough. My cousins older boy still has INSANE tantrums at the age of eleven, buuuut his behavior has never been dealt with in a constructive way. It's better to take care of those issues when they are young than to let it keep going on and on out of guilt or whatever. When they lived here he had the most epic tantrum that I have ever witnessed. It went on for a couple of hours, and he was ten at the time. I wanted to step in, but it's weird when it's somebody else's kid, you know? I finally told her to throw a glass of cold water in his face. My mom told me that's the best way to stop a tantrum. It said it shocks the kid out of the tantrum state, and doesn't actually hurt- so it's a good alternative to a spank.
    Her kids never went to bed at bed time. They'd be playing with toys in there, and she'd let them have movies on, and every night there was yelling and a big fight to get her oldest to go to sleep. And then her oldest would have a hard time waking up in the morning, and I'd always be like, well duh- he was up past midnight screwing around in there- what do you think is going to happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my oldest did the whole tantrum thing when he was 3, and we broke him of that pretty fast. We would completely shut down and ignore him. As soon as one started, we would no longer make any contact -- verbal eye or anything -- and would pick him up and take him to his room and gently lay him on his bed and then close the door. The door would remain closed and I would sit in the hall and hold it closed until the tantrum stopped. He learned after about the 3rd time that the tantrums would get him NOWHERE. Even in public. We would take him to the car, strap him in his seat, start the car and I would stand outside until his tantrum was over. They stopped and he's never really had one again. But youngest.... UGH. Nothing seems to work with him. I think he is just so young that he's more persistent. I am hoping this is part of the terrible twos and he will grow out of it!

      Delete

Feel free to comment -- I love reading them and I try to respond! :D