Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolutions

So, after reading post after post and lots of blogs about resolutions recently, I decided to address them here on my blog.  I got none.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  Zilch.  I just don't.  I don't do them and I haven't for a while now.  No real reason other than I'm not the sort of person who does something just because its a new year.  I DID try to talk myself into it this year since it would be something different, but then I thought why?  Just because everyone else is doing it?  I guess... but nah.  I'll stick to my routine.  I'm just going to keep going on with what I'm doing. 

But then I got to thinking, what AM I doing?  Have I addressed that recently?  Have I lost my focus in life AND on here?  Well, I'm pretty sure I've not addressed it recently and I am pretty sure I've lost my focus.  On here AND in my everyday life.  Not that it wasn't intentional -- it sorta was.  I seem to always do that during the holidays.  I just get so wrapped up in doing everything else, that stuff moves to the back burner.  And that's cool.  I know people get all down and either hate this time of year or they go over the top.  I'm somewhere in the middle.  I like this time of year, but things do annoy me.  I also get that some people feel we should enjoy our friends/family year round.  But the truth is, its nice to take a couple of months to make others the focus.  We NEED that yearly reminder.  So, I take it for what it is and roll with it.  There is so much bad in the world that I choose to try to enjoy the good.  Life is just too short not to have that eggnog with friends, not to go out shopping and laughing with your girlfriends and miss that workout, not to stay up late and sleep in the next day.  In the grand scheme, it's only a few days and hours and I'd rather spend it loving and laughing than anything else. 

So, what is my focus?  Well, besides trying to get healthier and lose some of this weight, I have several things I'm working on.  I don't know how else to address these other than to list them so here we go...

*  I want to continue working on these projects around my house.  With it being Winter now, I know it will slow me down some, but I want to get it done.  I bet we'll get done right before we get ready to move.  LOL  Oh well, as long as it gets done!  Since it's cold and wet now, my focus will be on indoor projects. 

*  I want to continue to work on more crafts.  Over the last year, I've not been working on any 'fun' crafts.  I've let major projects take over and have not taken the time to do the crafts that I would love to do and that needs to come to a halt.  I got to sit in my room the other night and just work on some sewing repairs and realized that I have stopped doing the things I enjoyed like that.  I want to get back to that.  I NEED that.

*  Like Mary over at A Merry Life, I want to continue paying down and hopefully pay off debt. 

*  I want to do some major purging.  I've been doing really well on that front this last year and made great progress, but I want it to continue.  And by the end of 2013, I would like to be down to mostly only things we need and use with only a few extras hanging around.  I feel like this is going to be some tough decisions, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  I honestly think the hardest part is going to be getting rid of some of the holiday gear.  I have tons of it and I don't use even half.  I would like to do more, but the reality of it is that there just never seems to be enough time.  So, I think I either need to get rid of some things or buy some other things to make it easier to do what I want to do.  Like, extension cords, plugs, timers, etc.  We already started a small list of that just for Christmas.  Going to work on it for all of the holidays that we actually decorate for.  Halloween will be tough.  I love it, but we just don't go all out like we use to.  :/

*  I want to make it a point to have more time out with friends.  I didn't do as much of that over the last year as I would've liked, so I need to do that.

*  On that same note, I want to take more time to have one on one time with my kiddos.  Especially my oldest.  Before I know it, he will be at that age where he doesn't care at all for spending time with the 'rents, so I need to take as much time with him as I can now.  I get a lot of time with my youngest while my older one is at school, although I don't actually play with him much.  So with him, I want to try to take more time to play with him when its just the two of us here.  I know with everything going on that I don't have as much time as I would like (nor patience) but I would like to do more.  It's hard being a Mom with boys -- I just really don't know how to play with them, but I'm going to try to so I can spend more time with them.  I know it doesn't take much to make them happy so I want to put in that extra effort.

I think that is the gist of what I want to continue working on this year along with a couple of new things added.  So, not really resolutions but just a continuation of the evolution of me and my life, I guess.  Things to think on and work on and continue on.  And many of them overlap.  Like the purging and paying off debt.  I hope to purge some of this stuff and sell it to apply toward the debt.  It is MUCH lower now than it was this time last year.  But I am going to try my hardest to pay it off this year.  All together, it's not very much but it's there.  I would say everything added up would be close to 8k.  Although, part of that is revolving (I pay it off weekly usually).  But that does not include large loans like my car and our HVAC that is tied to our mortgage.  But its MUCH better than what it was just a couple of years ago.  With all the work we've done to the house and such, I think its grand.  LOL  I just want more done before we move to make the move easier.  The less we owe on, the less we have to worry about being able to pay.

So, that's it!  That's all I can think of for now.  I may add things as time goes on, but this is all that comes to mind after reading all the stuff I have.  But for now, I'm going to get off of here and get to getting.  I want to call and check in with my Parents, do some cleaning, and get ready to work on a couple of those things.  Friends are coming by Thurs., we may go out Friday, and I'd like to knock some stuff out so I can work on crafts.  fun fun  Laters!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't make any resolutions this year at all, but on the first I did decide that this year I wanted to be my most authentic and happy self. That's a good enough goal.
    I do want to pay off all my debt (apart from my student loans), and do other things like that though. Maybe I should make a short goal list too.
    Hmm, build forts in the living room with blankets and chairs and stuff. ALL kids mostly like to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the fence about resolutions myself... I have things that I want to accomplish this year, but resolution just seems like the wrong word to me. Good luck with your new goals!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment -- I love reading them and I try to respond! :D