Sunday, August 24, 2014

End of the day

It's the end of the day and even though I at first didn't think it was super productive, it ended up being super productive.  I'm hoping before long that I can post some pictures for anyone who is interested.  I got a load of laundry done, my living room cleaned up, and then I got to try out one of those 'an easy thing you never knew to do' type of things.  It was using baby oil on furniture to give it a 'restored' look.  They weren't kidding!  My old round side table looks AMAZING.  And the light smell (vs. the over the top smell of the actual cleaners/sprays) was so nice.  I think I'm going to try it out on a couple of other things.  I also tried it after some painting and sure enough, it removed the oil paint right off of my hands with no extra work! 

One aggravating thing that we noticed today is that the paint ran on the pantry cabinets.  I didn't realize there was a weird lip on the sides because both were laid on the backs instead of their bottoms.  So, the paint caught and then after gravity took hold for a bit, it dripped.  Being the 'I want it done right' type, I chose to sand it and caulk it before painting it again.  So, those didn't get finished.  I'll give them their last coat tomorrow as long as all goes well.  But all of the uppers were finished.  So, I still have one more day of cabinet paint.  I still love the oil paint -- I feel like it's much easier to work with and much better coverage than the latex.  For trim, cabinetry, etc, I swear, in the next house it will ALL be oil.  The only latex will be the paint on the walls!  LOL

All in all, it was a pretty good day but I had hoped to finish up the cabinet paint and be ready for install tomorrow.  But it's fine.  I'll get up and do all of that first and then hopefully we can install the others.  I may end up doing the counters.  They are a furniture finish rubberwood and a few spots look worn so I want to lightly sand and reseal.  Might as well do it now, ya know?  I'm also REALLY wanting to replace our sink faucet.  I just hate the damn thing.  It's a 'bronze' finish.  It looks AWFUL.  Every little scratch shows.  HATE.  Although, I guess it is good we got it because once we saw that, we made the decision to use black/bronze as an accent only and that anything that had to serve a function needed to be either stainless, brushed chrome or some other base metal color because they hold up much better over time.  The only place where we haven't done that is the bathroom.  The vanity has black handles but everything else is satin nickel.  And at least one of the handles already looks like crap.  :/  And yes, they are less than a year old.  UGH.  We got them because of their size, mostly.  Never knew it would be so hard to find a handle to fit.  Glad we got a few extra just for this reason.  But I won't replace it until closer to moving. 

Well, going to jump off of here and maybe read a bit before bed.  Hubby and I were going to do some games, but I'm not really in the mood.  I'm really tired.  I had a busy day yesterday and then over to the neighbors and well... that was heartbreaking but that's another story.  We hung out late letting the kiddos play and talking.  Now, I'm thinking I just want to attempt to relax and then hit the hay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment -- I love reading them and I try to respond! :D