Saturday, January 10, 2015

Proud

I am proud of myself tonight.  Proud because a friend posted this crazy post about some person she didn't know having her dogs outside.  It was one of those 'Share' things on FB.  She posted how it was cruel and wrong and how that dog died for no reason.  I went and looked it up and turned out, the dog didn't freeze to death -- the other dogs for some reason attacked it.  Long story short, I commented (nicely) that I didn't feel shaming was a good idea because no one knows this person's situation.  With the economy like it is and many people struggling (to include animal shelters and rescues), it's better to have a bit of restraint when attacking someone.  She may have been a widow and they may have been her husbands.  Maybe they were strays.  Maybe they were just doing the absolute best they could.  Her beef was the dog was outside in the snow.  A big furry dog.  In a huge kennel/run.  With a nice (real wood and real roof!) dog house.  He passed away.  But NOT due to cold.  Her argument was that dogs were domesticated and should be kept inside.  :O  Seriously?  I grew up on a farm and let me tell you, every dog we ever had slept outside rain, snow, sleet or hail!  Yes, in our yard in a dog house!  Over the course of my life, I think that we must have had at least 4 dogs.  The last lived well after I was married and moved out.  You couldn't DRAG that dog in!  THEY TRIED! 

Anyways, I hate this idea, specifically here, that people think animals are humans and like what they see on TV.  Dogs are freakin' DOGS!  I love my dogs and cats, but people are attaching human emotions and lives to them that just aren't real!  Animals of all sorts can be 'domesticated' without living indoors.  Cows, pigs, horses, cats, dogs, snakes, etc. can all be domesticated.  But that doesn't mean they aren't animals.  They forget than animals can revert to being wild in just a few short weeks!  I'm not saying that you shouldn't love and care for your animal -- you should.  We all should.  But if a dog has lived it's entire life outside, the odds are good that it will survive.  Will some die?  Of course!  All animals die!  Things happen.  To ALL animals.  But that doesn't mean we should bring them all in our house.  People, for the love of all that is good in the world, stop treating your pets as if they are above humans.  They are wonderful.  They are great companions.  But they are NOT humans!  Stop trying to treat them as such!  HONOR them by treating them as the ANIMALS that they are!  And for heaven's sakes, stop over reacting to anyone who disagrees!

Which is back to my point.  Instead of getting upset (on there) and arguing, I simply stated that since we couldn't discuss it calmly like adults (lots of name calling and ugly stuff) that I was just going to unfollow it.  Then I said I was sorry I caused a controversy on her page for respectfully disagreeing and goodnight.  That was it.  I'm proud for not going on and on and just saying a short sentence or two and walking away.  And I DID unfollow it.  And I will NOT be going back.  The only thing is, I'm betting this person is the type to get her panties in a wad -- she's my hairstylist.  I knew I should've never added her to my page.  But what can I do?  Nothing.  I probably should've never commented but it rakes my nerves that now that we have so much internet access that people feel it is ok to shame people without knowing the full story.  I always try to see both sides and have compassion.  I wasn't saying it was ok to let them starve or die but another report said that someone (same neighbor) had reported the dogs outside and they came and told her they needed better housing.  The lady built four -- one for each dog.  They were in a HUGE run.  Not one of those 10x10 cages.  No joke, it was wider than her house!  So, they were probably a good 30 or 40 feet wide!  Pretty much half of her back yard.  They each had their own houses built to their size.  And the person who complained said, "All she does is spend just a few minutes morning and night before and after work to feed and water them.  That's it."  How much more should she do?  Like I said, we don't know her story..... or the dog's.  What if they are high risk and not allowed in public?  Or something else?  I just don't feel right bashing someone without all of the facts.  Especially not when it's obvious she cares or she'd have gone and just thrown some POS houses together.  She wouldn't feed them like she did and check their water.  What if she was some older single Mom and was working 12hr. shifts?  People don't care.  They choose to pick and pick and pick.  They also choose to name call when they have no valid argument. 

Anyways, that has been my night.  Other than this blip, it's been a day of... being off.  Just... off.  I am tired, but I'm not sure if I could sleep.  I think I will try to shower and relax because it's 3AM and I really should sleep.  My brain is just in turmoil.  And you know that from my previous post.  I know we aren't suppose to stay here.... I just don't know how, when, or where we are suppose to be.  Until next time............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment -- I love reading them and I try to respond! :D